Letter to Catholic Scouting Committee Members
Dear Catholic Scouting Committee Member,
First, on behalf of the 80,000 young people served by the Catholic Youth Apostolate, let me thank you for your service as a Catholic Scouting Member. As someone who contributes their time and talent to our young people, I am sure that you agree one of our top priority is the creating of a safe environment for the children and youth we serve.
With that in mind the Archdiocese of St. Louis has established certain criteria for all volunteers (18 years of age and older) who have regular contact with program participants (18 years of age and younger). “Regular contact” is defined as being involved as a volunteer three times a year for any youth activity.
Successful completion of the following mandated criteria must be recorded in your Parish:
- Record of your attendance at one “Protecting God’s Children” training session,
- Reading, signing and returning a copy of the Archdiocesan “Code of Ethical Conduct”
- Completing a Missouri State Background Check (every two years) OR the Worker Registration Form (one time only) along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of your drivers’ license.
The Following criteria must be recorded in the Catholic Scouting Office:
Complete the Office of Catholic Scouting Committee Leadership Survey:
- If you have already completed these three items; We ask that you only complete the Office of Catholic Scouting Committee Leadership Survey and return the survey to the OCS office. Thank you for taking time to help us build a safer program for our children.
- If you have not completed these requirements please do so at the earliest possible opportunity and return them to your Parish Office. In addition we ask that you complete the Office of Catholic Scouting Committee Leadership Survey and return the survey to the OCS office as soon as possible.
The documentation and forms for all three programs can be obtained from your local Parish office as well as from the Archdiocese of St. Louis website, follow the protecting God Children link on the right side bottom of the homepage.
You can also obtain the information from the Catholic Youth Apostolate's website. Follow the link to the Girl Scout or Boy Scout home page to the section marked Catholic Committee membership requirements. There you will find the Missouri background check and the Worker Registration form.
You will also find the Code of Ethical Conduct that you can download, read, sign and return to your parish office the parish office. For a current listing of “Protecting God’s Children” workshops click on the link.
One last thing, please complete the enclosed survey and return it to the Office of Catholic Scouting as quickly as possible. If you need help in completing the survey because you are unsure of exact dates you attended and where your records are held, please contact your local parish office. If it is more convenient you may email the requested information to Ann Lederman, Director of Catholic Scouting at email@example.com. As an agency of the Archdiocese, the Catholic Youth Apostolate , and the Office of Catholic Scouting is directed to confirm that all of our volunteers have completed the mandated requirements.
Thank you very much for your co-operation regarding these important matters. I know that you will do your part to help us provide a safe environment for the children and youth we serve.
Thank you for all you do for Catholic Scouting programs. Without you, we could not bring quality programs to our young leaders of tomorrow.